DIY Painted Wood Sign
Learn how to make a hand-painted sign without using those expensive stencil paper and adhesive spray. This project tutorial shows you how to transfer letters and images onto wood using just a pencil! We also provide a set of 6 Holiday theme stencils that you can DOWNLOAD FOR FREE and print out to use.
How to Make a DIY Painted Sign
There are 5 easy steps to this project. Watch the video to see how it’s done and follow along with the detailed instructions below.
Assemble your materials
You will need the following materials for this project:
- A piece of wood
- Pencil (2B pencil is preferable because it has a higher blackness)
- Acrylic Paints
- Paint brushes
- Masking Tape (or Magic tape)
Get your image ready
- Have your canvas at the appropriate size for your wood.
- Create and edit your design on it. Then print it on a regular paper. (you can print it out in black and white, even if your design is colored )
- If you need, here is a set of 6 Holiday theme stencils FREE FOR DOWNLOAD.
Transfer your image onto wood
- Use a pencil to scribble firmly over the back of the image. The more scribbles the better.
- You can hold the paper up to the light to make sure the whole design is completely covered.
- Place the paper pencil-scribble side down on your wood sign and secure it in place using the tape.
- Use a ball point pen to trace the outline of the letters and the graphics. Press down a bit harder (and trace back and forth) so that the pencil lead gets transferred onto the wood.
- Remove the paper, you should see that all your pencil marks are there
Painting the sign
- Now we can start painting it in with acrylic paints.
- You can use a small paint brush (or Script/Liner brush) to stencil the outline first and then fill in the rest.
- A few more coats of paint can cover the pencil marks and make the
color even and full.
Remove the pencil mark
- If you can still see the pencil marks after the paint is dry, use an eraser to remove them. And that’s it!
How to Edit Images
Before you start transferring the text or image onto wood, make sure it is looking it’s best! These tutorials will show you how to crop your photo to the correct size, how to reverse it, and how to add some effects.
Transform your Photos with Scripts
Scripts are mini-programs that will automatically transform your photos with just one click! Watch this tutorial to see a few examples of incredible transformations.