Make a Portable Mini Green Screen
In this tutorial we’ll show you how to set up a portable mini green screen using everyday objects, and create your own green screen effect. Green screen effect, or Chroma Keying, is a visual effect for combining two layers of videos/photos together by removing the background. It’s often used in news broadcasting and movies. Chroma keying can actually be done with any color, but green screen is the most often used because it differs most distinctly in hue from most human skin colors.
How to Create a Green Screen Effect in 5 Easy Steps
There are 5 basic steps to this project, from making your own green screen to editing the final video production. Watch the tutorial below to see how it’s done and follow along with the detailed instructions.
You will need the following materials for this project:
- Pizza box
- Green poster board, card stock, cardboard, or any solid material with smooth surface.
- USB LED light, clip lights, or desk lamp.
- Tripod stand, cell phone stand
- Optional: Binder clips, invisible tape, multi-port USB hub
- Cut out two pieces of green cardboards to fit the inside of the pizza box
- Put one piece of cardboard snugly into the pizza box
- Place another piece of cardboard into the pizza box to serve as the green screen background. Stand it upright against the lid of the pizza box.
- You can use invisible tape to secure it
- Put the subject into the pizza box. Maintain some distance between your subject and the green screen background to avoid shadows on the screen.
- Set up the lighting. The key to green screen lighting is consistency. Light the green screen evenly to avoid dark shadows.
- Light the background and your subject separately, and place the key light on your subject.
- Setup the tripod/cell phone stand and start shooting videos/taking photos.
- Import your videos/photos into your video editing software
- Use a Chroma Key tool to remove the green background
- Replace the background with your own videos or photos
Green Screen/Chroma Key Tutorials
For more details on how to use Chroma Key in video editing software, we have selected the following tutorials for you.