Make a Portable Mini Green Screen
In this tutorial we’ll show you how to set up a portable mini green screen using everyday objects, and create your own green screen effect. Green screen effect, or Chroma Keying, is a visual effect for combining two layers of videos/photos together by removing the background. It’s often used in news broadcasting and movies. Chroma keying can actually be done with any color, but green screen is the most often used because it differs most distinctly in hue from most human skin colors.
How to Create a Green Screen Effect in 5 Easy Steps
There are 5 basic steps to this project, from making your own green screen to editing the final video production. Watch the tutorial below to see how it’s done and follow along with the detailed instructions.
Assemble your materials
You will need the following materials for this project:
- Pizza box
- Green poster board, card stock, cardboard, or any solid material with smooth surface.
- USB LED light, clip lights, or desk lamp.
- Tripod stand, cell phone stand
- Optional: Binder clips, invisible tape, multi-port USB hub
Create a portable mini green screen
- Cut out two pieces of green cardboards to fit the inside of the pizza box
- Put one piece of cardboard snugly into the pizza box
- Place another piece of cardboard into the pizza box to serve as the green screen background. Stand it upright against the lid of the pizza box.
- You can use invisible tape to secure it
Set up the lighting
- Put the subject into the pizza box. Maintain some distance between your subject and the green screen background to avoid shadows on the screen.
- Set up the lighting. The key to green screen lighting is consistency. Light the green screen evenly to avoid dark shadows.
- Light the background and your subject separately, and place the key light on your subject.
Start shooting videos/taking photos
- Setup the tripod/cell phone stand and start shooting videos/taking photos.
Green screen editing
- Download a free trial of VideoStudio here
- Import your videos/photos into the editing software
- Use Chroma Key tool to remove the green background
- Replace the background with your own videos or photos.
Green Screen/Chroma Key Tutorials
For more details on how to use Chroma Key in video editing software, we have selected the following tutorials for you.
How to Use Drop Shadow and Chroma Key Filters
Join video editing guru Gripps for an overview of the new Drop Shadow and Chroma Key NewBlue plug-ins in Corel VideoStudio X8! Learn how to create amazing green screen effects for your video editing projects.
Creating Green Screen Effect
This tutorial by Pinnacle Studio Pro Maliek will show you how to add any background to your green screen footage to create a video where you place your subject into any environment.
How to Make a Stop Motion Video
Stop motion animation style stitches together individual still images to create motion animation. Perhaps the most famous form of this is ‘claymation’ where flexible clay models are photographed in hundreds of different positions and then stiched together in a video to create the illusion of movement.