DIY Photo Snow Globe Project
In this project tutorial we’ll show you how to make a photo snow globe using a mason jar, some baby oil and your own photos. Follow these 4 simple steps to make personalized gifts for your friends using a photo of your favorite time spent together or create unique decorations for the holidays and special events. And if you’re looking for something fun and creative to do with the kids, this DIY project offers lots of opportunities for them to help make their own photo snow globe.
How to Make a Photo Snow Globe in 4 Easy Steps
There are 4 basic steps to this project. Watch the video to see how it’s done and follow along with the detailed instructions below.
Assemble your materials
You will need the following materials for this project:
- Clear Glass Jar
- Your Photo
- Baby Oil
- Packing Tape
- Hot Glue Gun
- Decorations (Aquarium rocks, marbles…)
- Styrofoam Disk (Optional)
- Color Tape or Ribbon (Optional)
Get your image ready
- Download a free trial of PaintShop Pro if you don’t already have one.
- Find an image or photo you like. Open it in PaintShop Pro and remove its background.
- Resize the image to fit the inside of your jar.
- Print your image on a regular paper (Thick paper works better)
- Waterproof your photo by covering both sides completely with clear packing tape.
- Trim the image out.
Position your decorations
- Hot glue a pre-cut styrofoam disk to the lid to make a stage for your decoration. (Optional)
- Attach your decorations to the disk (or the lid if you don’t use a styrofoam disk) by hot glue gun. Remember to keep the decorations away from the edge, so you can still screw the lid onto the jar.
- Now pile some glue on the disk, and put your photo in. Pile some more glue down to hold your photo.
- Wait to let everything dry.
Assemble the Snow Globe
- Fill the jar with baby oil, almost to the very top.
- Add in some glitter, but not too much or the snow globe will look hazy.
- Carefully squeeze everything into the jar and screw the lid on tightly.
- Turn the jar upside down and check if there are any leaks.
- You can embellish the lid with color tapes or ribbons.